Congo candidate asks court to throw out presidential vote


An opposition presidential candidate on Friday asked Congo’s constitutional court to throw out last weekend’s vote that saw President Denis Sassou Nguesso re-elected in a landslide.

“I have just filed the appeal signed by Mr. (Mathias) Dzon to ask for the cancellation” of the election, said Herve Ambroise Malonga, a lawyer for Dzon.

He said the complaint was based on allegations of ballot box stuffing, among other reasons.

Also Friday, four candidates, including Dzon, held a news conference to denounce the vote results as being cooked up in the “laboratories of power.”

Dzon, a 62-year-old former finance minister, had been seen as Sassou Nguesso’s main rival but took a mere 2.3 percent of the votes.

He and five other candidates had called for a boycott of the election after allegations that the electoral list had been grossly overinflated.

Sassou Nguesso, who returned to power after civil war in 1997 and has run the Congo for a total of a quarter century, won Sunday’s poll with 78.6 percent of the vote.

AFP.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: